Tuesday 17 December 2019

20 Days of Orkney Trees #14

Most of the archive staff are not Orkney-born and so we often ask our Very Orcadian Colleague to enlighten us when puzzled by local dialect, confused by 'Orcadian ways' or curious about growing up in the County.

I asked VOC about his early tree memories and he talked about a small wood being planted outside his school. Said wood is now full of hefty -trunked trees but our colleague remembers them being 'nothing but sticks'.

I asked what year this could have been was told to mind my own beeswax. Undeterred, I looked through the Phoenix Photographic collection (Dougie Shearer's archive) and found this great shot of all the tiny, newly planted saplings with the path winding through them. I think this photo dates from the early 1960s but don't tell VOC I said that...



2 comments:

  1. Again, I am thoroughly enjoying this Advent adventure of trees. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue, glad you are enjoying our Advent posts.

      Delete

Are you delighted by what you have just read? Are you revulsed and appalled? Do let us know, we'd love to hear from you.